Today , companies, health clubs, retailers and travel companies all look set to profit from the changing male image, as men become more image-conscious. If we were in 2002, we would talk about metrosexual men, who not only care about their outlook, but also want people to watch their outlook. Now we are in 2010, men do not follow metro style any more, they came up with the new style: ubersexual.
The term “ubersexual” is derived from the German uber, which mean “the greatest,” and sexual, which mean “let’s bump uglies.” The word owes its origins to JWT, the largest advertising agency in America, and was especially created for a new book entitled The Future of Men, co-authored by Marian Salzman, Ira Matathia and Ann O’Reilly.
The men leading this charge are ubersexuals. According to Salzman, “Ubersexuals are the most attractive (not just physically), most dynamic, and most compelling men of their generations. They are confident, masculine, stylish, and committed to uncompromising quality in all areas of life.” They do not care about what people think. They do not feel nervous about what people think they are gay. They know they are straight, that’s all the matter.
In summary, we can define ubersexual men as:
THE DIFFERENCES BETWEEN UBER AND METRO
- Ubersexuals are passionate about business, politics and global affairs.
- Metrosexuals are passionate about themselves. Go ahead, just ask them!
- Ubersexuals respect and like women, but prefer the company of men.
- Metrosexuals consider women to be among their best (and only) friends.Source of inspiration
- Ubersexuals follow their experience and reason.
- Metrosexuals follow Carson Kressley.Priorities
- Ubersexuals are concerned with the world around them.
- Metrosexuals are concerned with their calorie intake.Emotional level
- Ubersexuals are emotionally available.
- Metrosexuals are emotionally vacant.Money
- Ubersexuals invest their money in sound business strategies.
- Metrosexuals invest their money in exfoliant.Grooming
- Ubersexuals shave daily, if need be.
- Metrosexuals can tell you the exact time of their next Brazilian.Obsessions
- Ubersexuals are obsessed with quality and integrity.
- Metrosexuals are obsessed with their buns.
TOP 10 UBERSEXUAL MEN
1. Bono: He’s global, socially aware, confident and compassionate, and he commands a huge base of followers who are fans of his music — and his humanitarianism. Is it any wonder rumors are swirling about a Nobel Peace Prize?
2. George Clooney: He appreciates the finer things in life (including his villa on the shores of Lake Como, Italy), and he is strongly bonded with and loyal to a cadre of male friends. His timeless image has allowed him to rise from B-sitcoms to box-office hits, some of which he’s directed and/or produced
3. Bill Clinton: A born charmer who is not afraid to cry. He is a supremely confident leader.
4. Donald Trump: Love him or hate him, The Donald is a man who is certain about what he wants and sets out to get it, no holds barred.
5. Arnold Schwarzenegger: He journeyed from body builder to mega movie star to politician, all the while keeping his shoes buffed and hair in place, and he has a Kennedy for a wife.
6. Barack Obama: At the DNC, he managed to marry sentimental love of family with a new face of patriotism. And he looks sharp in a suit.
7. Ewan McGregor: A handsome, fashionable family man, McGregor is versatile enough to go from riding his Harley Davidson around the world to walking the red carpet. He is comfortable in his own sexuality.
8. Pierce Brosnan: His James Bond strength was never compromised when we watched him publicly mourn his first wife (and raise her children). He has Remington Steele’s classic elegance and savoir faire.
9. Guy Ritchie: His masculinity is unquestioned, even though he’s married to one of the world’s top music icons (in fact, gravitating toward strong women tends to be an uber trait.)
10. Jon Stewart: He is outspoken without regard to what other people think (as evidenced by his skewering his hosts during this year’s Advertising Week). He is supportive of women and pokes fun at himself in a self-deprecating way.
In conclusions, ubersexual mark a return to the positive characteristics of the Real Man in the past (strong, resolute, fair) without having acquired too much of the self-doubt and insecurity that plagues so many of today’s men. The Ubersexual man is a more complex and thoughtful male like a more masculine version of the metrosexual with a wider set of interests This label creates a role model in terms of lifestyle, appearance and buying habits, which men are willing to aspire to.